The most frequently asked questions:
• Am I eligible?
To be eligible for an individual subscription, you must be at least 21 years old and hold a valid Ontario G class or equivalent license issued from a Canadian province for at least 3 years.
Your driving record needs to be free all of the following infractions: a speeding violation of 30km/hr or more above the limit; any at-fault accidents; any criminal motor vehicle offences (including Impaired Driving charges); more than 4 demerit points; and any more than two minor infractions.
• Where can I take the cars?
Anywhere! As long as you bring it back at the end of your reservation. Our cars have been as far as Washington DC and every Canadian Province! VRTUCAR becomes your car while you have it reserved. Use them for all your car mobility needs.
• Must I pay the $500 to become a member?
No. Here are the three most common ways to become a member:
- Join VRTUCAR by paying a $500 refundable membership bond and subscribe to one our our Value plans, giving you access to our best hourly rates.
- Choose our Open plan, in which case you won’t have to pay the $500 refundable membership bond. In that case, you’ll solely have access to Open plan rates. A $25 (plus HST) non refundable joining fee applies.
- Do you have a Presto Card or UPass? You are eligible to get our Dynamic DUO Plan for only $10.00 per month, without having to pay the $500 refundable membership bond. A $25 (plus HST) non refundable joining fee applies.
• How to figure out which package is right for me?
Each package is tailored to a type of use. A number of variables come into play: the frequency of use, mileage, time of use and desired daily rate. For an overview of our packages or call us so we can help you choose the package best suited to your needs.
• Is there good car availability?
Yes! We still suggest you book your car in advance as there may be no vehicles available if you reserve at the very last minute.
• What do I do if something unexpected happens (being late, incident, last minute cancellation)?
If a problem arises, we ask that you contact one of our agents at customer service. He or she will be able to guide you through the right steps. If you see that you are running out of time, don't hesitate to extend your reservation as availability allows through our mobile app or by calling our 24 hour reservation line.
• Who fuels the car?
Members share this responsibility. If the gas tank is at half full or less at the time of return, it is your turn to fuel up. A secure payment method is provided.
• What if I don’t have an Ontario license?
You can apply with a License from another Canadian province. For all drivers, we require a copy or copies of your 3 year uncertified driving record (available from Service Ontario) covering at least the past three years.
At this time, we are unfortunately unable to accept US or International licenses. You can still join by switching to an Ontario license (it is a painless adventure at Drive Test).
• Can I take a car in one place and drop it off elsewhere?
VRTUCAR vehicles must always return to their departure point. And that's a good thing since most trips begin and end at home. You have your exclusive parking nearby!
• When making a reservation, must I always indicate my return time?
When reserving a vehicle with VRTUCAR, the period you wish to reserve must be clearly indicated.
Want to extend your time, no problem - as long as another member hasn’t booked the car. Use our app or call our reservation line to make the change. As our rate varies between $2.95 and $7.50 an hour it is generally possible, for a few more dollars, to add some extra time just in case.
• How much time in advance must I reserve to make sure a car is available?
Members can book up to a month in advance, or spur of the moment. That being said, for weekend trips or extended trips, it is recommended to reserve several days or weeks, up to 30 days in advance. This is particularly encouraged for reservations during long weekends and during summer. However, this does not mean that you won't be able to find a vehicle if you reserve at the last minute. Simply that by planning ahead, you reduce the risk of not being able to book the car you want.
For all other questions, click here
• What is the minimum age required to subscribe and what type of license is needed?
To be eligible, you must be at least 21 years old and hold a valid G class or equivalent license issued from a Canadian province for at least 3 years.
• Is it possible to join VRTUCAR with only a probationary license?
Unfortunately, it is not possible.
•Is it necessary to have personal automobile insurance in order to use VRTUCAR’s vehicles?
No, when you use one of our cars, you are automatically covered by VRTUCAR’s insurance; it is included in our rates.
• What happens if I am involved in an accident?
Accidents happen- call us and we can help you through the process. A police report will need to be filed and you will need to exchange information with any other parties involved.
Our insurance provides $2 million in liability coverage.
If you are involved in an at fault accident, there are several factors to be considered. Our insurance company does require that all drivers have zero at fault accidents to qualify for membership.
If you are involved in an at-fault accident and damages are paid out by our insurance company, you may be asked to retire your membership.
Subscription and rates
• If I subscribe to your service, will my partner be allowed to drive the vehicle?
No, however you can easily add them to your account as an added member.
• Are there penalties for cancelling a reservation?
When you cancel a reservation at least 2 hours prior to its original start time, there are no penalties. However 50% of your trip will be charged if you cancel within two hours of its start.If your reservation was to have already started you are charged for 100% of the lapsed time and 80% of the remaining time. See our Member Rules for further details.
• How can I pay my bill?
You will receive an invoice notification around the 7th of the month for the previous month’s usage. The payment is made through a preauthorized payment plan through a credit card or bank account.
• How does the anti-theft device work?
All of our vehicles are equipped with an anti-theft device, use your FOB to disable it.
• What makes and models are available at VRTUCAR?
Our fleet includes Toyota Yaris, Toyota Prius C, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Matrix, Toyota Rav4, Nissan NV200 Mini cargo, and a 100% electric Nissan Leaf.
• Do you have non-smoking vehicles?
Yes, all of our vehicles are non smoking.
• Are your vehicles equipped with winter tires?
Yes, all of our vehicles are equipped with winter tires from December to April, and all seasons for the rest of the year.
• Do your cars have automatic or standard transmission?
All of our cars have automatic transmissions.
Use of service
• What should I do if I get a ticket during my trip?
Members are responsible for any vehicle related fine received during a trip whether it is for a parking or a traffic violation.
You must pay the fine directly to the agency that issued the ticket 10 days before the due date. If VRTUCAR must pay the fine for you, a $25 administrative fee will be automatically added to your invoice in addition to the cost of the fine.
• What happens if the vehicle I had parked gets a parking ticket or is towed?
When parking a vehicle during or at the end of your trip, you are responsible for making sure the vehicle is parked in a designated space, or in an area with no parking restrictions. If the vehicle is left in an area having any restrictions; and receives a fine, or if the vehicle is towed, you will be fully responsible for the costs related to fines. If we have to pay the fine ourselves, an administrative processing fee of $25 will automatically be added to your invoice, in addition to the cost of the fine and any charges incurred by VRTUCAR.
• Can I drive on a toll bridge or Express Toll Route with a VRTUCAR?
Yes, we add the toll charge to your invoice once they have been charged to us. The toll charges may not be received at the same time as your trip as there is often a delay in receiving toll invoices.
• What if I have a flat tire during the trip?
Call us 24/7 and we will help you with a solution.
• What is the VRTUCAR fuel surcharge?
The fuel surcharge is applied on a cost recovery basis as determined by volatility in fuel prices.
We use $1/litre as our benchmark
Here is the (two variable) formula we use:
- To determine the price of fuel: Average price paid by VRTUCAR in the previous 3 month period minus the benchmark equals the price difference per litre
- To determine the difference per kilometer: The price difference per litre as calculated above multiplied by the average fuel consumption rating for our fleet (litres/100 kms) equals the additional cost per kilometer
- The average price per litre for a 3 month was $1.20
- Our average fuel consumption was 8.5 litres / 100 kms
- $1.20 minus $1= $0.20 ( the price per litre over benchmark)
- $0.20 x 8.5 (litres/100 kms) = $1.70 divided by 100kms equals $0.017/km
- If the price of fuel falls below the benchmark, the surcharge is not to be applied.